Have you ever watched the cartoon Flinstone if you have then you might know that they cooked a lot of steaks? Is it because of them?
The steaks are now trending dishes whenever there is a family gathering or a friend get together.
And have you ever tried grilling a perfect ribeye and you thought that this experience is great and you should do it again?
If this is the case then you will see a variety of dishes that you can follow to cook yourself a great and perfect Ribeye steak.
But we are not going to discuss each and every type here we are going to discuss Tomahawk Steak and where you could buy them? We will also discuss how you can cook them so that every problem is solved right here right now.
The thing is there are several factors to look at in case you are wondering that cooking this type of steak should be easy.
Well, no it is not it is as difficult as you cook any other dish that you have not expertise in.
So, here we are going to tell you how and where to get a Tomahawk Steak and how you can make it the best experience to cook it.
What Is Tomahawk Steak?
Tomahawk steak is more of a part of a Ribeye that is left behind to make sure that the ribeye easily snaps out.
Then it is extracted from the rib section that the steer has embedded. When the butcher leaves the large rib-bone attached inside the chunk of meat.
That rib bone is commonly popped out when the main ribs are extracted. Take it as a large lollipop of meat that is sticking out of the large part of the meat.
When it is time to cut down the Ribeye steak then they use sharp knives and it is cut down from the longissimus dorsi, This part is situated at the bottom of the cow and it can be found right under the long muscle.
I know there are two but it is situated under one of these two long muscles.
This part of the muscle is soft and tender, why you might wonder? Because this part of the muscle is mostly unusable in the day to day hustle of cattle life.
Because of this tenderness, this Ribeye is perfect to eat and not only this when it comes to eating then not only this tenderness plays the role.
There is incredible marbling that also plays a role when it comes to extracting a Ribeye steak meat from the cow.
How Big is a Tomahawk Steak:
This type of steak meat is cut thick. Why? Because it can have the impression of proper meat and you could get the perfect taste of this steak.
Tomahawk steak is as I said, cut thick thus the thickness or I should call it the width of the steak is 2 inches which obviously gives this steak a weight and it weighs around 2 to 3 pounds.
This is a lump of solid meat but there is a bone that is sticking out from the back of the steak.
Now: this bone is necessary why? Because this bone is extracted from the cow itself to help the steak meat stay and stick together.
Thus consider this bone as a backbone for this steak. And don’t worry it is completely cleaned for eating the steak.
How? Well, it is simple when the steak meat is extracted from the cow then this bone also comes you and they clean this bone to its core from removing all the fat to removing all the connective tissues that are connecting this bone from the cow.
When everything is removed then it might act as the perfect handle to hold and eat the steak if you want to eat it the old fashion way.
When it comes to any other name then Tamohawk steak is distinguished under this name only.
If you are sitting in a restaurant and ordered a Ribeye steak this it is a part of Bone in from the cow thus it has a less and shorter bone sticking out thus it is a whole lot different then a Tomahawk steak.
This name is only referred to as one type of steak there is no other name that can distinguish Tomahawk steak as it is a type that is rare and available in few restaurants.
So, if you order any other steak like Ribeye or cowboy cut. Then you will be disappointed with what you receive and for sure you won’t receive a stone age steak that is Tomahawk steak.
So, you need to be sure that if you want to eat such type of steak then you need to order this under the name of Tomahawk steak that’s it.
Where to Buy Tomahawk Steak:
Some butchers work for Tomahawk steak because it is a hard piece to extract thus you need to select and find a place from where you can get it.
Or if you want it badly then you can always opt for the online order option and get it right in your home.
Snake River Farms:
Snake river farm is one place from where you can get this type of steak as they offer and provide you best and precise 2” of American Wagyu Tomahawk steak and they also include a Ribeye fat in the package of $125.00.
The weight of this steak is commonly and usually 2.5 pounds with the heavy texturing that can only enhance the taste for this steak.
With that, this also offers you a legendary Wagyu marbling that can also enhance the taste of this steak not only that this also makes this steak more soft and crunchy.
This company named Snake River was established in 1968 who had an A-grade supplier and a Michelin-star restaurant to start with.
This is a family business run by the family thus you can trust the quality that they provide as they have to maintain their reputation among their competitors.
They use a simple delivery method as they use the frozen method which is couriered to you in a frozen state.
Later you can easily make sure that it is defrosted and used in eating.
But you won’t face any disappointment when it comes to ordering from this business.
Now, you can get Tomahawk Steak right where you are you just need to defrost it properly and Snake River also provide a proper method through which you can easily defrost their steak and eat it.
Porter Road is a brand that has been working in meat for a long time and they will provide you with this Tomahawk Steak for $75 relatively affordable than Snake River which will make you feel those primal and ancestral days that you missed.
The basic weight of the steak is around 2.5 to 3 pounds thus the quality is also great.
This brand was found by former chef James Peisker and Chris Carter, Porter road has been the best way to emit and provide the top quality meat in any circumstances.
This means that they deal with every meat there is and from them, you can expect some rich and high quality of meat products thus they have exceeded their expectations and has always provided more and more to their consumers.
Coming towards the shipping process they use a standard shipping procedure to ship their meats as they would put the meat inside the sealed bag or container and they would ship you with standard and express options via UPS.
But the meats which are not included in the shipping criteria are ground beef, sausages, or larger roasts.
How does the Price of a Tomahawk Steak Compare to a Normal Ribeye:
The ricing of a tomahawk steak completely depends on the quality of meat that you are buying and from whom you are buying it from.
But when it is compared to a normal Ribeye steak then you will be paying three times more than the price of a normal Ribeye steak.
The Chicago steak company which is well-known in dealing with meat right in Chicago are selling their tomahawk steak for the price of $239.95 and their steak is USDA prime dry-aged steaks.
Although you can get more than that in the package such as you can get four prices of Tomahawk dry-aged prime USDA approved steak with addition to Bone-in Ribeyes for $274.95.
Debragga is a company that also deals in meat and their Steak Miyazaki Wagyu which was 24oz won a Culinary Olympics prize are selling Tomahawk dry-aged prime Steak for $285.00 for a pair of steaks.
This pricing is lower than their Olympics winner steak.
How To Cook A Tomahawk Steak:
When you are cooking or even preparing a Tomahawk Steak then you will face a challenge from the size of this steak.
Because of the 2 inches of thickness if you are searing this steak traditionally then it will either leave the centre of the steak cold or uncooked or it could burn the surface with the charcoal suit thus, in the end, it will leave your steak destroyed.
The best and authentic way to cook a Tomahawk Steak it to use a grill or you can use a process called reverse searing which includes both a grill and a pan at the same time.
Reverse Searing Your Tomahawk Steak:
- Now: if you are using a more advanced way of gas grilling then you should turn on the burner and bring one of the burners to the medium heat. But if you are using a more traditional way of charcoal grilling then gather the coals on one side and burn them while leaving the other side cold. This will create a hot and a cold zone in the griller.
- Season your steak with proper preparation and with proper ingredients. You should keep in mind when you are seasoning the steak that the seasons that you spread on the steak some of it is going to shed on the griller thus add more than required.
- Then you will need to put the steak on the cold side of the griller either in gas or in charcoal and let the indirect heat sync into your steak so that it is warmed up and indirectly always cooking.
- Use your ever-handy meat thermometer to keep an eye on the temperature of your steak.
- When the temperature of the steak is increased by 15-20 degrees which you can check by a thermometer, this temperature is to determine the level of doneness and it is behind it so that you know how much you need to switch it back. This temperature will determine how much it has completed and then move it over to the hot side of the griller that either on charcoal or gas. Then you have to keep an eye and turn it simultaneously every 30 seconds so that the heat reaches everywhere.
- Check the temperature of the steak to determine the level of doneness. When it is 5 degrees away from doneness then you should keep it aside to cool down a bit.
Hybrid Grilling Technique:
This is an example of a charcoal and gas griller and this is easy right but when you see the hybrid grilling technique then you will be fascinated as it offers you several options to deal with.
Here is how you can cook it on a Hybrid or an electric griller.
- You should set the grill as I mentioned above with a hot and
- When the steak reaches the level of doneness at 15 to 20 degrees earlier move it to the cold side and let it cook indirectly. cold side.
- Then you need to heat the cast iron. And heat it until it is extremely hot. I would prefer to do it outside unless your griller has a side burner.
- Then you can put the steak on a pan and expose it to the direct heat. You need to turn it for a while to avoid any burning of the surface.
- Then from here, the process is the same when your steak is 5 degrees away from the doneness level then remove it and keep it on aside to let it cool down. Leave it there for 5 to 10 minutes.
- In the end when you are serving it gives it a touch of heat on drizzle in the juice that is extracted on the pan to flavour it up.
If you are interested in additional gear that can eas the grilling experience for you then you can try this product GRILL ARMOUR GLOVES for better results.
It is a grilling glove that can be used for grilling and trust me when I say it is the best as the material is exceptional and it won’t catch fire.
This glove is using a caviler technology thus you won’t get burned or hurt while any mishap in your grilling.
So, if you want the best additional gear that can ease the grilling experience for you then this could be the one.